Friday, December 10, 2010

Doing a jig

I recall once my graduate advisor coming running out of her office to do a pirouette in the middle of her lab because she got a big grant funded.  (Good thing too, since that grant funded a lot of my research.)  I now know the feeling... not because I got a grant funded. I'm still trying to figure out how to submit an NSF grant while I'm at NIH for post-post-doc money - but its proving to be a pain because funding agencies don't like to mix.  So no grant, but I did have a manuscript sent out for review at Science!  This might be a bad thing to post because, though acceptance has a better chance at this point, they could still boot it and I could be jinxing it.  But this was my goal - go out for review!  ~80% of the submissions to Science don't make it to review, so I consider this a huge win!  Upon reading the email, I leaped out of my chair and did a jig.  If it gets into Science, even better! Keep your fingers crossed for me. For now though, I'll celebrate this achievement.  You've gotta appreciate the high points in this career whenever they come.

No comments:

Post a Comment