Thursday, December 15, 2011

Many hats

The business of science is an interesting one. A professor/scientist must be many things at once - a researcher, a teacher, a counselor, a storyteller, a writer, an orator, and even a publicist...not to mention life outside of work. I'm sure there are many more roles as well. I guess that's partly why I love doing science and why its so difficult. Its a constant juggling act, but it never gets boring.

This week, I've spent a chunk of time collecting images - not for a figure - but for cover spreads and media packets for three different manuscripts in press. Preparing media packets is especially interesting. There's a good deal of effort for a story that may or may not be picked up by the press. If you'd like a taste of the buffet of press releases each day, check out EurekAlert! Press interest always a mystery. I mean, how did deep-reaching eddies get into the Economist? I'm not complaining, but I would never have predicted the outcome. We'll see if anyone in the media is interested in my latest story about little sea urchin larvae due out next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment