Friday, February 4, 2011

Marketing

I'd like to share some advice that I got today that I really like.  There is one key thing you must master at each stage of your career to really make it.

Undergraduate School -- hardwork
Graduate School -- creativity
Postdoctoral Fellowship -- marketing
Assistant Professor -- organization

I think I made it out of the first two quite successfully.  I'm still working on marketing myself though.  I think self-marketing is one of those activities that has a gender bias.  Males seem to be much better at this than females.  I'm trying though.  My mini-tour was really for self-promotion, networking, initiating possible collaborations, and getting feedback on my work.  I really do enjoy giving talks and talking to people, so it was also fun. I got to interact with some brilliant people and talk science.  When it comes down to it -- it was marketing. Maybe I will get it right in the end...

No comments:

Post a Comment