Thursday, May 17, 2012

Job Search: Two down

More decisions had to be made and I now know where I'll be for 2013. Yeah. I've accepted an AAAS Science and Technology Policy Fellowship to work with the US Agency for International Development (USAID) on their Biodiversity and Forestry Team. I'll be working with international development teams around the world to incorporate biodiversity conservation within their programmatic efforts. USAID recognizes that preserving biodiversity will maintain essential ecosystem services that people around the world depend on for food, water, transport, and income. These biodiversity initiatives, training and global programs will be essential to achieve sustainable international development. For me, I hope this fellowship will allow me to directly apply my marine background to real world problems in a meaningful way. I hope to gain new perspectives on how science can affect people's lives around the world. At the same time, I hope to expand to contribute to new related areas, such as food security, where biodiversity is often underappreciated.

This doesn't mean that I've given up on a faculty position. Being a professor has been my professional goal since I was in grade school (to be precise, 7th grade when I first learned about hydrothermal vents). I still have applications pending at my top choice places. I've gotten the go ahead from them to accept the fellowship. It is a one year gig. Deferring an academic job offer for a year is not uncommon.  So in a perfect world, I can have this unique experience to gain an important perspective on the broader impacts of science AND have my dream faculty position waiting for me at the end of the year. I can only hope to be so lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment