Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Diversity: Message in a Rose-Colored Bottle

A recent ScienceCareers article on the benefits for women in science caught my attention. Of course, it was by a marine scientist... but that's not why it intrigued me. Maybe step one for retaining women in science and academia is to send the right message -- Science CAN be good for women who want it all (aka family and career). So often the message is that its too hard or impossible.

from FemaleScienceProfessor
Its interesting that the man is the one
trying to balance a tenure clock and
family. If more of these 'female' issues
became male AND female issues, I believe
more progress could be made and faster.
I think I was lucky enough to get the 'right' message early.  I had many extraordinary female role models as mentors... actually almost all of my mentors have been female.  Each has chosen their own path - no kids, single mom, delayed kids, etc. None of them took my path to have kids early, but I think the diversity of paths gave me confidence that there were multiple ways to 'make it work'.

Tracy Ainsworth writes in her ScienceCareer article that "there is no best time for a scientist to have kids" ... "I have found that the inverse is also true: There is no worst time, either." I agree completely.  And I believe those words have actually come out of my mouth a couple of times - for our first kid and when we bought a house. Life doesn't go and shouldn't go on hold while you write your award winning paper, do the critical experiment, or wait for the security of a 'permanent job'. I took the leap (with my wonderful spouse) and found ways to make it work. And I'm happy to say that I have two adorable (and annoying) kids and a house in the suburbs of DC. The only things missing from the quintessential American Dream picture is the white picket fence and dog. (I have a policy of only dealing with one source of poo that I have to clean up.) We're not rich but we're happy.

It was a bit shocking to me that some students I've meet over the course of my interviews were amazed that this was even possible. It is possible. 



Tracy points out some of the good things about a science/academic career that makes it possible. I think the big one is - FLEXIBILITY. You set your own hours. That means you can work 12 hours in the lab or 8 hours in the lab, starting at 7 am or noon. (Yep, some one in our lab rolls in every day at noon.) I come in after I drop the kids off at preschool and daycare. If there's an emergency, a doctor's appointment, or a Mother's Day tea at school, I can go. I'm not 'on the clock' or perform an essential function that can't take a break. I'm the type of person who probably couldn't deal with a traditional 9-5 desk job anyways.

Travel is also a work issue that has flexibility. For the most part, you determine when, where and how much you travel. (Though of course, study subject seasonality (like reproduction) and ship schedules can decrease the flexibility to some extent.) Often the fam can come along. My husband has been treated to ziplining and climbing an active volcano in Costa Rica after a cruise. And my kids have been to numerous conferences across the country.

The article also includes some of the pro-work/life actions Australian institutions are doing to improve things. I was quite impressed with the list -- part-time work, accounting for decreased productivity per kid, reentry fellowships, extended maternity leave. One thing that wasn't mentioned was salary. Australian post-docs are paid significantly more than their American counterparts. An increased salary makes things like paying for daycare less oppressive, and could make hiring a maid a possibility. (I've always been annoyed when faculty say to hire help during workshops like ADVANCE... like I can afford rent/mortage, daycare, food, and a maid. Oh it would be nice though!) The US appears to be far behind in many of these things... but these programs and changes can serve as models for US institutions. There is hope. There are opportunities. It can be done!

No comments:

Post a Comment