Thursday, August 9, 2012

Job Search - my one regret

Though by the end I was getting tired, I actually enjoyed almost all of my interviews. Its a joy to meeting new people doing great science who are also interested in your own science. What can I say? I like talking shop... especially since I've been at NIH where I get fewer chances to do it.
There was really only one regret I have - 'the diversity seminar'...

I applied to all sorts of job ads - integrative biologist, biological oceanographer, marine ecologist, ecologist, modeler, and a very unique ad for Diversity in Marine Sciences. I have participated in many different outreach and 'diversity' programs throughout the years to promote my own research career and to help others in theirs. However, I never thought that it would translate into helping me get a job so directly. Still, I applied and actually got an interview at a top tier place. Wohoo!

It wasn't a bad interview but it was strange because no one really knew about the position. I had 'interviewees' ask me what they should be looking for. I had to give a research seminar, which I rocked, and then a modified chalk talk. The chalk talk was to consist of two portions - 1) contributions and plans to increase diversity and 2) research plans and goals. This is where my regret comes into play.

I can make excuses (I had a sinus infection. The committee wasn't clear on their expectations for the diversity plans. etc. etc.) but it comes down to the fact that I didn't deliver. I had a plan from which I deviated... to my own demise. I didn't practice it enough to know the important points I needed to drive home and which ones could be skimmed over. I hadn't thought enough about it in depth. I've always contributed to diversity efforts and even been a recipient, but not in a planned way.

One great thing about interviewing is that you ARE forced to think about what is important to you, where you want to go with your work and really life. Although it is crazy, stressful and hectic, there is a lot of time that must be devoted to reflection and personal goals to be successful. As such ideas spring forth and priorities clarify. I regret not taking that time. I don't regret the outcome of my search in anyways. I think Rutgers is the right place for me in many many ways... but still I would have liked to have put my best foot forward throughout the entire process.

No comments:

Post a Comment