Thursday, July 26, 2012

Job Search: The happy outcome

Done... over... FINALLY!! I have signed on the dotted line - okay it wasn't dotted but solid line doesn't quite sound right. It was a long journey, but the end result was worth it. I am now a new Assistant Professor at Rutgers Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences... well I will be in Sept 2013.

I'm really excited... mostly because I think they actually get me. There's a tradition of deep sea research, a contingent that brings cutting edge molecular approaches to oceanography, and a core of people that consistently work across disciplinary boundaries. The institute was set up this way from the get go. A pioneering deep-sea biologist founded the institute and purposely created a small (relative to other major oceanography institutes) but elite faculty housed under one roof, removing any physical barriers to collaboration. I look forward to making that roof part of my new academic home.

No comments:

Post a Comment