Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Blogging

There are many science blogs out there. So why is mine justified? I'm not sure it entirely is, but it has been a fun and useful outlet to 1) keep me writing, 2) express my unique point of view, 3) update colleagues, friends, family and whoever else finds their way to this site on my scientific life, 4) provided some search committees with additional insight into who I am, and 5) forced me to get outside of my daily myopia.

Sushi Science and other bloggers have argued that more scientists need to blog - for their own benefit and the benefit of those who pay us, the taxpayers. That educating just 3 people more about science is worth the time. With now over 1,000 visitors (sometime in May) since inception a year and a half ago, I have hopefully sparked at least a couple of people to think about science, science careers, or life in a slightly different way. My meager 1000 pales in comparison to other blog sites with tens of thousands of visitors, but I'm okay with that. Thank you to you 1000 that have graced my blog with your time.

I'm getting ready for new journeys now. First to the US Agency for International Development, where science will be thrown into a whole new context. And then as a new faculty member. The battle for a scientific home is coming to an end and now I need to start thinking about the furnishings, landscaping, and scientific kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment