Friday, June 29, 2012

Science at home: When your science geek passes to the next generation

Andrey Rogozin | IST

Eating our second helping of salmon for the day (sushi at lunch and lox at dinner)...

4 year old daughter: "Can I have more?" [after devouring her first helping... a rarity at any dinner]

Dad: "When mercury attacks." [handing over a large slice of lox]

4 year old daughter: "Daddy, Mercury can't attack.  Its a planet."

Dad: "Why not?"

4 year old daughter: "Because planets just spin in space.  They're not alive.  Silly Daddy." [giggles ensue like only a 4 year old girl can do]


Now, as a marine biologist, I'm a bit irked that she didn't know yet about bio-accumulation of mercury in fish.  As a scientist, I'm thrilled by her thought process and her knowledge about planets. I guess I shouldn't be too sad about bio-accumulation as I have taught undergrads who didn't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment