Tuesday, June 19, 2012

View into the Abyss

I've been to Brest, France once for a deep-sea biology meeting. It had been ravaged during WWII, so the architecture wasn't much to look at. The historic charm of much of France and Europe was absent. However, they do have a wonderful aquarium for those of you who are marine enthusiasts. This aquarium, Oceanopolis, now has a one-of-a-kind display - an AbyssBox. This high-pressure box can keep animals brought up from the deep alive and in view of thousands of visitors... spend millions of dollars like Cameron or without having to endure/enjoy a month long research cruise and an 8 hour dive cramped in a 6 ft sphere. True to my heart, they've chosen some vent animals to display. To learn more, check out Wired.com

I love that more people can get to see some of the wonders that I've been very privileged to experience. I still prefer the long cruise and cramped submersible dive. There's nothing like witnessing the complete environment with your own eyes. Diving on hydrothermal vents is about as close as I'll ever get to going to a different world.


No comments:

Post a Comment